The hamlet of Solomeo was built between the late 12th century and the first half of the 13th. “Villa Solomei”, as the settlement was once called, served as an operational base for the men working on the reclamation of the plains to the north. It is located near a street that, in the Middle Ages and, most likely also in Roman times, connected Perugia to Castiglione del Lago and Chiusi.
In 1361, the inhabited center of “Villa Solomei” was comprised of one main building, a “casamentum”, twelve “domus”, two small houses and the Church of Saint Bartholomew. In the spring of 1391, the citizens of Solomeo decided to fortify their hamlet for defence. Quite probably the construction of the castle was authorized by Meo “Iohannis Cole”, owner of the main building: indeed, in the town council meeting minutes, Meo was identified as the “commissioner”. The fortress was built just next to the building he owned, “Iuxta Pallatium Dicti Mei”.
Although Solomeo Castle was, in theory, already completed at the end of the 14th century, the town was still referred to as “Villa”, with the earliest mention of “Castrum Solomei” found in a document dating from 1430. Over the 16th century, probably driven by population growth, the inhabited centre of Solomeo was expanded beyond the castle walls. At the time, housing did not occupy the entire area before this stretch of the ramparts; it was only later, after 1729, that others were added, forming the cluster of housing along the entire south-east section that we see today.
The hamlet sprang back to life following an intensive redevelopment project that was launched by the Cucinelli family. Started in 1985, the redevelopment work focused on fully restoring the hamlet’s natural and historical-architectural beauty, thus returning the hamlet to its ancient splendor.